Kitefoiling Coaching Camps
Viana do Castelo, Portugal 7th - 14th Sept 2019
This will be Progression’s second visit to Viana Do Castelo and we can’t wait to go back! Our first trip was such a great success, with 6 out of 6 days of wind, perfect flat water and heaps of learning. So Progression Live will be returning for two camps in 2019, the first from the 7th – 14th September and second the following week, 14th – 21st September. The spot constantly delivers with the wind, flat water, an amazing hotel and is incredibly convenient, located only 40 minutes drive from Porto airport.
Accommodation – FeelViana Hotel & Sport Center
Feel Viana hotel is one of the more luxurious hotels that we head to throughout the year, complete with an amazing spa and restaurant – the included breakfast will set you up for the day! Nestled behind the sand dunes, an idyllic short 100m walk through the pine forests will find you on the kite beach. This year the Sports Center has been expanded to offer a new beach bar restaurant, kit storage on the beach and if you need to rent any additional kit they’ll have you covered.
Wind and Weather
This large bay is lucky to be served by a thermal wind system, that consistently delivers cross shore winds, way higher than the weather charts predict. As long as the forecast says NW, we know us foilers will be on the water at some point that day! The thermal can be really strong and at times in the summer months, with a strong prevailing NW, it’ll ramp up to 45knts. That’s why we run our camps in September so we can still capitalise on a weaker thermal effect which is perfect for us foilers. If we do get some really strong wind afternoons small kite foiling or twintip/surfboard practice can still be hugely beneficial for learning techniques and just downwind we have a really great wave spot. This is definitely one of the spots where you want to bring all your kites so you can make the most of any conditions.
Normally we stay upwind, sheltered by the harbour wall giving us areas of smooth flat water and light chop as we move further downwind. Most days start with us foilers being the only people out and whole bay to ourselves, as the wind increases, it gets a bit busier but there’s always plenty of room for us to ride and coach.
What if there is no wind? It’s unlikely but on light wind days there is still a lot of big kites, light wind practice we can work on along with water relaunch and self-rescue techniques. And if there is truly no wind, other than theory sessions, Viana do Castelo has lots of other activities to keep you entertained – surfing, outstanding mountain biking trails, day trips to Porto for Port tastings to name just a few – not forgetting the hotel spa, yoga classes and gym.
Coaching – what to expect
Progression Live prides itself on the quality of coaching we offer – deep insight and understanding have always been a key part of Progression’s DNA and we feel we can best offer this by way of smaller groups, a maximum of 8 with two coaches. This ensures that you get the most out of your foiling experience with us and throughout the week achieve the goals which we set together.
Every student learns differently, some needing just a few pointers throughout the day, where others a more in-depth guided process – we’ll tailor your experience to best suit your needs and ensure you get the most out of the week. Everyone is given a daily objective in the mornings briefing, and we then expect you to go off and give this a good go, we’ll be on the beach and water observing, giving you pointers but crucially one of us is always available for you to come and ask questions. Progressions aim is help you reach your own potential, we’ll push hard when you need it but ensure you have fun, ending every day with a smile on your face and new challenges accomplished, whether they are big or small. And it’s not just about what you learn on the camp, you’ll leave with a personalise Progression Plan guiding you through the next stages of your foiling progression.
The normal daily structure is
- Breakfast around 9 am
- Land coaching at Feel Viana hotel at 11 am
- Meet down the beach at 12.30 for a pre-session warm up and set up.
- By 1 pm foilers are normally the ones making the rest of the kiting community jealous and we’ll have an hour or so of lovely big kite foiling fun. The wind then tends to come in stronger for the afternoon and with loads of space, we’ll move about the beach for the best set up.
- We tend to ride with one coach on the water going around between all students and pointing out where you’re going right and wrong. The other coach will be on the beach ready to offer support with kites, foils and questions you have as you try new techniques.
- We also film and take photographs throughout the week, which then becomes an essential part of the morning briefing sessions. All of this ensures you’ll make heaps of Progression in your week with us.
- Viana do Castelo has a great variety of restaurants and bars and each evening we’ll organise a dinner for those people who want to join us. Though feel free to do your own thing, if you prefer, and the hotel does have a fantastic restaurant for the nights you’re too exhausted to go further afield after all those hours on the water.
Who is this clinic best suited too?
- You already own your own hydrofoil.
- You’ve already had a few session and at minimum are able to waterstart and riding along off the foil.
- Through to foilers who are up and riding comfortably on the foil but you want to improve your technique and learn gybes and tacks.
Whatever your level do get in touch and we can discuss if this particular clinic will be best for you.
Pricing8 spaces left
From £ Shared room*
What else is included in this price?
- 6 days coaching with Danny and Rob.
- 7 nights accommodation and breakfast at FeelViana – 2 sharing a room, single occupation option available.
- Welcome drink and dinner at FeelViana on the first night with the rest of the group.
- Shared locker for kit storage at FeelViana.
- Access to a variety of F-One and Airush foils and surfboards to help with learning new techniques.
- Unique Progression Live camp t-shirt.
What’s not included?
- Flights (In the region of £150 – LGW – Porto).
- Airport Transfer – Either private taxi or hire a car from the airport.
- Lunch and dinner.
Bring your Partner
Of all our camps this is probably the best for anyone who wishes to bring their non-kiting partner. The hotel has lots to offer whilst we are out foiling and there is plenty of opportunities for you to sneak away and explore the town and surrounding area and still get plenty of coaching in during the afternoons. There is a £99 price for partners which includes them in the welcome drink and dinner on the first night along with a Tranquility or Localized Sports Massage. We want your partner to feel they too are part of the group over the week, joining us for any of the other land-based activities and evening meals. Planet can also put together additional spa based packages, so just enquire when you book.
Booking with Planet
We work our travel partner Planet Kitesurf who will be able to assist you with your booking. All aspects of the accommodation, flights, transfers can be tailored to your needs and if you’re interested in staying longer or even heading off for some other adventures whilst there, they will be able to sort this all out for you.
Still got questions?
About the Location
Meet your Coaches
Pro Kiter, F-ONE Ambassador
From competing as a teen to travelling the world with the sport, Danny has over 15 years experience with kitesurfing and has grown up living and breathing it. Now one of the UK’s most competent free ride foilers, Danny is passionate about coaching and helping people gain access into this new area of the sport.
Progression owner, script writing, filmer, editor…
Rob’s passion has always been in watersports, a past world champion windsurfer, 20 years experience as a kitesurfer and for last 15 years helping over 200,000 kiters learn and improve with his Progression series of kitesurfing videos, DVDs and apps. Now his own obsession for kite foiling, has led him to find ways to make foiling accessible to the whole kiting community.