Kitefoiling Coaching Camps
Langebaan, South Africa 3rd - 8th March 2024
Cape Town, South Africa, is one of the world’s most famous kitesurfing destinations, attracting thousands of kiters every year. The majority of kiters head to Blouberg, the stage for the Red Bull Kind of the Air, renowned for big air, big waves and super strong winds – surely this isn’t a kitefoiling mecca? Well, one hour north is Langebaan, a huge lagoon and nature reserve with butter flat water and insanely consistent conditions. This is also where Rob calls home for 4 months of the year, a testament to how epic it must be for us kitefoilers! With consistent trade winds, that build through the day (last year there was only 3 days over the summer when you couldn’t kitefoil) and March being a lot quieter on the water, we’re excited to finally have this camp on the calendar.
- Flat water sessions, in the beautiful Langebaan lagoon.
- Consistent steady winds, typically from 15-25 knots
- Later in the season, so free from the crowds
- All this makes it the prefect place to improve your kitefoiling!
- This is a Coaching Only camp so accommodation is not included – great for those already in Langebaan or Cape Town with existing accommodation but for those coming specifically for the camp, their are lots of great accommodation options available
- Unique filming and photography opportunities to maximise your kite foiling development. We can get close to the action to ensure we capture all your mistakes, helping you to better understand how to fix them.
- Max 8 guests to 2 coaches – ensuring you get coaching tailored to your needs.
Come and enjoy Progression’s Live coaching techniques that deliver a unique program designed to help you achieve all your kite foiling goals. Click here to find out more about our coaching
What is Coaching Only?
- Most of our camps are at locations where Danny and Rob and all the guest travel out for the week, staying in the same hotel or apartments. But because Rob lives in Langebaan and we know of several kiters keen to join who are living there for the SA summer, it makes sense to offer this with out accommodation included.
- But rest assured, nothing else changes, you’ll still have access to Rob and Danny for the best part of every day of the camp. We’ll be on the beach as long as you want to ride and have a great beach front house where we can meet for morning briefings and chill out in between session.
- We’ll still be meeting up most evenings for dinners, for those that are keen to carry on the foiling chat over a beer as the sunsets.
- The coaching runs for 6 days, from Sunday 3rd – Friday 8th March but for those arriving specifically for the camp we’d advise you look at accommodation and flights either side of those days.
Wind and Weather
- March is a great month in Langebaan as the crowds have dispursted, giving us more space on the water but still the trade winds blow. Even if the trade winds easy off for a day or two, the lighter northerly frontal winds are still great for kitefoil.
- Generally 5m-10m kites are used in Langebaan but a larger kite might get you an extra session in here or there, or an extra hour on the water as the wind builds.
- In March the temp is still generally 20-25 degrees but worth bring a jumper for the evening
- Wetsuit wise, the lagoon is warmer water than down in Cape Town but changes through the summer with the wind, and its still not hot! A 4:3 is a safe bet, though a 3:2 summer suit or even a shortly might be possible on some days.
Who is this clinic best suited to?
- You already own your own hydrofoil (rental options are available).
- You’ve already had a few session and at a minimum are able to waterstart and riding along off the foil holding your ground upwind
- Through to kitefoilers who are looking to learn or improve their gybes, foot changes, 360’s, tacks and jumping!
- Whatever your level do get in touch and we can discuss if this particular clinic will be best for you.
- For anyone looking for their first beginner kitefoil lessons, Rob is running private 1:1 coaching session through out the South African summer.
What is included in this price?
- 6 days coaching with Danny and Rob (Sun 3rd Mar – Fri 8th Mar).
- Access to the Progression Platform where you’ll find your session plan after the camp along with exclusive videos for the tricks you’ll learn on the camp and into the future
- Unique camp rash vest
- Braai & Beers on the first night (thats a BBQ for non-south africans)
What’s not included?
- Flights and transfers – we’d advise anyone flying in specifically for the camp to, at a minimum, arrive on the 2nd March and then leave on the Saturday
- Accomodation (let us know if you want help )
- Meals (other than the first night) though we’ll organise some optional group dinners during the week
Still got questions?
Check out our Frequently Asked Questions page for further answers to common questions like What kit you should bring and can you bring your partner, along with many others. Or get in touch to chat with Rob and Danny about becoming a better kitefoiler
About the Location
Meet your Coaches
Pro Kiter, F-ONE Ambassador
From competing as a teen to travelling the world with the sport, Danny has over 15 years experience with kitesurfing and has grown up living and breathing it. Now one of the UK’s most competent free ride foilers, Danny is passionate about coaching and helping people gain access into this new area of the sport.
Progression owner, script writing, filmer, editor…
Rob’s passion has always been in watersports, a past world champion windsurfer, 20 years experience as a kitesurfer and for last 15 years helping over 200,000 kiters learn and improve with his Progression series of kitesurfing videos, DVDs and apps. Now his own obsession for kite foiling, has led him to find ways to make foiling accessible to the whole kiting community.