Kitefoiling Coaching Camps
La Ventana, Mexico 8th - 15th December
La Ventana is now regarded as one of the most epic spots to travel to for kiting, and if you foil it’s a must ride destination. Now featuring on the Hydrofoil Pro Tour, it’s been known for its summer breezes, flat waters and vast amounts of kiteboarding space for a while but with the rise of the freeride foiler this small fishing village on the Baja Peninsula of California will be the perfect destination for a Progression Live camp.
Once again we plan to run two back to back camps at the start of December at a location that should be far easier for Progression’s North American customers!
Casa Verde is where we will be based for the duration of the camp – located directly on the beach and walking distance to several local bars and restaurants. Being right in the centre of the kite beach meaning we’ll be able to kite straight from the hotel ensuring we maximise our coaching time on and off the water. In one of the many beautiful outside spaces, we’ll be running our morning land-based coaching sessions, an essential aspect of a Progression Live camp.
Casa Verde is a complex made up of 8 different rooms with various arrangements from king size beds to twin rooms there will be an arrangement to suit your personal request. There is also a guest kitchen which can be used at any time and we will be provided with a breakfast every morning at the hotel. There’s a supermarket a short walk or cycle away as well as a few different restaurants that will keep you powered up during the day for lunches and dinners.
To help with recovery Casa Verde runs yoga classes every morning – perfect for stretching out the aches and pains from the day before as well as a sauna which will be sure to keep you feeling fit and strong all week long.
In the rare event of a no wind day, there are SUPs and snorkels to explore the bay where whales, dolphins and rays can be spotted. There is also great mountain biking and trail running in the area.
Wind and Weather
The wind blows all year round in La Ventana, it’s lightest in the summer months and strongest through Oct – March. The predominant wind is accelerated by a local thermal with a venturi effect on top making La Ventana incredibly consistent in the winter. The mornings start light or windless and by 11 am a breeze starts to develop.
The lighter breezes mean flat flat water and for us, foiling and coaching perfection. The combination of all these elements set the stage for the perfect environment for hours of foiling progression, every day. We’ll shape the day around the wind with maximum water time being our no.1 priority.
The weather is pleasant but not too hot, with temperatures in the mid-low 20’s and the ocean temp at around 22˚C you’ll need a short wetsuit to keep you on the water longer.
Coaching – what to expect
Progression Live prides itself on the quality of coaching we offer – deep insight and understanding have always been a key part of Progression’s DNA and we feel we can best offer this by way of smaller groups, a maximum of 8 with two coaches. This ensures that you get the most out of your foiling experience with us and throughout the week achieve the goals which we set together.
Every student learns differently, some needing just a few pointers throughout the day, where others a more in-depth guided process – we’ll tailor your experience to best suit your needs and ensure you get the most out of the week. Everyone is given a daily objective in the mornings briefing, and we then expect you to go off and give this a good go, we’ll be on the beach and water observing, giving you pointers but crucially one of us is always available for you to come and ask questions. Progressions aim is help you reach your own potential, we’ll push hard when you need it but ensure you have fun, ending every day with a smile on your face and new challenges accomplished, whether they are big or small. And it’s not just about what you learn on the camp, you’ll leave with a personalise Progression Plan guiding you through the next stages of your foiling progression
The normal daily structure is:
- Breakfast around 8 am
- Land coaching at Casa Verde around 9 am, this is where you’ll get your daily learning objective and we’ll be going over any footage that will help you master your next foiling manoeuvre.
- We’ll assess the conditions day-to-day, but we’ll normally meet down the beach between 10-11am for some stretching and a warm up ready to make the most of the building light breeze so be sure to bring your big and small kites.
- A quick lunch in the hotel around 2 pm, before most likely changing down a size ready for another afternoon session on the water.
- We tend to ride with one coach on the water going around between all students and pointing out where you’re going right and wrong. The other coach will be on the beach ready to offer support with kites, foils and questions you have as you try new techniques
- We also film and take photographs throughout the week, which then becomes an essential part of the morning briefing sessions. All of this ensures you’ll make heaps of Progression in your week with us.
- All capped off with a sundowner back at Casa Verde
- We’ll make a day to day plan for an evening meal whether it’s cooking all together at Casa Verde or picking a restaurant to head to in town.
Who is this clinic best suited too?
- You already own your own hydrofoil.
- You’ve already had a few session and at minimum are able to waterstart and riding along off the foil.
- Through to foilers who are up and riding comfortably on the foil but you want to improve your technique and learn gybes and tacks.
- Whatever your level do get in touch and we can discuss if this particular clinic will be best for you.
What else is included in this price?
- 6 days coaching with Danny and Rob.
- 7 nights accommodation at Casa Verde including breakfast – 2 sharing a room, single occupation option available.
- Access to a variety of F-One and Airush foils and surfboards to help with learning new techniques.
- Unique Progression Live camp t-shirt.
What’s not included?
- Flights – you can fly to either La Paz or Los Cabos. La Paz is a 45-minute drive oppose to Los Cabos which is around 2 ½ hours. Flights can range from £450-£750 from Europe and around £400 from LA.
- Airport Transfer – Either private taxi or hire a car from the airport.
- Lunch, dinner and drinks
Booking with Progression
We are booking this camp directly – we’ll handle everything included in the main camp price and then we can help you with advise on flights and organise transfers to and from the airports in Mexico. To book we’ll require a 50% deposit upfront and then the balance will be due 1 month before the camp.
Still got questions?
About the Location
Meet your Coaches
Pro Kiter, F-ONE Ambassador
From competing as a teen to travelling the world with the sport, Danny has over 15 years experience with kitesurfing and has grown up living and breathing it. Now one of the UK’s most competent free ride foilers, Danny is passionate about coaching and helping people gain access into this new area of the sport.
Progression owner, script writing, filmer, editor…
Rob’s passion has always been in watersports, a past world champion windsurfer, 20 years experience as a kitesurfer and for last 15 years helping over 200,000 kiters learn and improve with his Progression series of kitesurfing videos, DVDs and apps. Now his own obsession for kite foiling, has led him to find ways to make foiling accessible to the whole kiting community.